Solo Hike

This morning I headed out for the weekly hike on my own. Mommikins signed up for the Edmonton Marathon's 10K road race today so she wasn't able to join our weekly jaunt into the wilderness. I contemplated staying home and tackling chores like laundry and cleaning but I knew, from a mental health perspective, that if I didn't go and commune with Mother Nature, I was likely not going to do well.

Rather than attempt a new to us trail, I stuck with something simple and not too far out there just in case. You can never be too careful as a solo hiker, especially a female one. So, I ended up at Beaver Hills Biosphere not so bright but certainly early this morning. Designated a UNESCO biosphere in 2016, Beaver Hills is about 40-45 minutes eastof Edmonton, just past Sherwood Park. The trail is approximately 2KM, with some gentle rolling hills but nothing difficult. Dogs are allowed but must be kept on leash.


We had done this hike last year when we first began exploring hiking spots near Edmotnon. It was very quiet this morning although I did hear a few ducks and the occasional squirrel letting his buddies there was a human in their midst. Not much in the way of wildlife to be seen this morning although I did encounter two adorable bunnies who bounded off into the bushes when I huffed and puffed my way towards them, and a squirrel who seemed as shocked to see me as I was to see him as I trundled around a bend in the trail. There was also a moth/butterfly type insect that flew into my chest and in very typical Canadian style, I apologized to it.


Typical of the areas we tend to frequent on our hikes, there were plenty of ripe wild raspberries to be found, as well as a couple of other berries I'm not familiar with but see all the time. If anyone knowns wht they are (upper right and lower left in the photo below) I'd be grateful. I think the berries in the lower left are bear berries - I came across some that were red but a lot that were white (unripe?). Additionally, the trail had tons of this lovely purple flower which I believe are smooth blue asters. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me in the comments. 


The trail at Beaver Hills is well maintained and fairly wide; certainly wide enough for two people to walk side by side if you're walking or hiking with a friend. Its well marked and broken into smaller sections so for beginners the distances are too daunting. The signs are a bit dark compared to other parks/trails and blend well into the foilage, at least at this time of year. If you're not looking or paying attention, you might miss one. However, everyone sign tells you exactly where you are on the trail so its easy to figure out how much further to go, what's coming up next etc. 


There are also a couple of lookout spots where you can rest and take in the scenery. The first one, which veers off from the main trail is well worth the extra short distance to see it. While you can't tell from the picture below, there were a number of ducks on the far side of this pond/marsh/slough frolicking about (probably just regular duck business but it sounds more interesting to say frolicking). A great spot for a picnic lunch too if you're so inclined. 


Next week, its back to hiking with Mommikins and hopefully a regular blog feature. At least during the summer and fall months. 

Stay Frosty!

No comments